Quest for Knowledge

Wednesday, July 21, 2004

My Instant Celebrity Hopes Dashed!

I was supposed to be an instant celebrity! I had great news to start my writing career, the all powerful omnipotent Internet media to distribute.
Dah! It was not great news after all. It was only about a captain leaving a ship in the middle of the sea and not about Titanic sinking on its first voyage. It was only about 500 employees being left without a leader not a Lakers team without Big Diesel Shaq.
So... 6 comments! Not bad after all.  A good decent start! By the way what were the people doing? Let me think, I guess they are working on their projects as they should be and as someone would say better be.  
Anyway, I think interesting comments, interesting analogies anyway. So continuing on analogies, it reminds me about an article in Strategy and Business about comparing organizations to DNA of living organisms. Like the DNA of living organisms, the DNA of living organizations consists of four building blocks, which combine and recombine to express distinct identities, or personalities. These organizational building blocks are
Structure: what does the organization look like, including the lines and boxes of org char
Decision Rights: Who decides, what and how?
Motivators: what objectives, incentives and career alternatives do people have
Information: How are activities coordinated, knowledge transferred.

These fours blocks largely determine how a firm looks and behaves, internally and externally.  Based on my assessment I concluded that CNSI is a Fits-and-Starts Organization: Scores of smart, motivated, and talented people populate this organization, but they do not often pull in the same direction at the same time. When they do, they can execute brilliant, breakout strategic moves, but the organization typically lacks the discipline and coordination to repeat these successes on a consistent basis. It is an environment that lures intellect and initiative — smart people with an entrepreneurial bent — because the opportunities to pursue an idea and to take responsibility for executing it are abundant.
 
Not to belabor this anymore to the level, where you shut me down and say what is he cooking I will stop. Phew!....
Now your turn, what do you think??? 
  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home